Saturday, October 23, 2010

Week 6: What I Learned

I've been getting behind on posting so I'll just go through What I Learned from this past week before moving on to my Great Expectations for the week. However, I would like to point out that I am now 1-5 when it comes to picking games involving San Francisco. They've been killing me all year but, damn it, I still think they win the division!

  1. Oh Michael Turner, where art thou? In one of my keeper leagues, I elected to keep both Michael Turner and Frank Gore in the hopes of building a very solid running back corps. I went on to draft Ryan Mathews in the 3rd, Tony Romo in the 4th, and Jermichael Finley (damn) in the 5th, before I selected a wide receiver. I was convinced that my RBs would be my strength and WRs would be my downfall. Now, six weeks in, I realized I was wrong. Show of hands, who has been annoyed by Michael Turner this year? Yep, that's what I thought. So far, he only has 1 TD and two games where he has exceeded 10 points. He is the 19th overall RB, behind Maurice Jones-Drew (also disappointing) and Mike Tolbert (who is actually a fullback!). This lead me to think: which preseason studs should you sell or which should you buy low on?

    For Michael Turner, I say buy low. Maurice Jones-Drew, I would try to sell. Ray Rice is actually 13th in fantasy points but, considering he was basically a top 5 pick, I say buy as low as you can. But your window is closing fast. If I have DeAngelo Williams, I'm trying to sell him for whatever I can get at this point. Cedric Benson is a buy low, I think. I have a feeling that Cincinnati will start using him a lot more. Shonn Greene would be a sell, I think, but I wouldn't be surprised if he starts seeing more action down the line. I think Ryan Mathews is a perfect buy low and I expect him to have a monster 2nd half of the season and I'm trying to get him in as many leagues as possible. Beanie Wells should be sold and, even with a rookie QB, I'm not expecting much from him for the rest of the year. I'm buying Knowshon Moreno and, with Kyle Orton's hot start, I think he puts up some decent receiving numbers for the rest of the year.

  2. An Eagles resurgence under Kevin Kolb? Whoever is throwing the ball in Philadelphia will be getting it to Jeremy Maclin, but when I think Kolb will actually use him more. In the past two weeks, he has had six and seven catches for 254 yards and 2 TDs. I think he finishes the season higher than DeSean Jackson. Kolb is also a viable fantasy starter for as long as he starts in Philly. And LeSean McCoy should be starting every week.

  3. Maybe a terrible week was exactly what Dwayne Bowe needed. A week after he dropped what seemed like every pass thrown to him, Dwayne Bowe reeled in six of the nine passes thrown his was for 108 yards and 2 TDs. Do I buy it? Well, he certainly has the talent to do it consistently. But I don't think he has a quarterback who will let him do it consistently. If you have Dwayne Bowe and someone offers you a trade for him, I'd say do it.

  4. I am never sitting Calvin Johnson again, no matter how close to not playing he is. Flashback to Sunday morning. I'm sitting at my computer, looking at my fantasy team, debating who to start between Johnny Knox and Calvin Johnson. I ultimately went with Knox, because I thought one bad hit from the Giants secondary would knock Johnson out of the game. And, while Knox did not have a bad game by any means (5 catches for 120 yards. Granted, he did have 11 targets) and got me 12 points, Johnson had 5 for 146 and a TD, for 20 points. He has 5 TDs on the year (should have six but there was that ruling in Chicago in Week 1) and I will never bench him again. I think he finishes in the top 5 of WRs.

  5. Do you remember the 2008 Denver season where they seemed to lose a running back each week? Well, I do. And I think that, on one team, I owned every single one of them at one point or another. Notable names from that list that are performing well this year: Peyton Hillis (9th overall RB and has no less than 8 points in every game this year) and Ryan Torain (starting RB in Washington and lead all RBs in points this week). I like both very much for the rest of the year and both will jump in my rankings the next time they come out.

  6. Week 6: Concussionfest. Now, I've had my fair share of concussions in my life, mostly from stupid things, but I recognize how dangerous they can be. There were a bunch of concussions and helmet-to-helmet hits this past week. Todd Heap, DeSean Jackson, Josh Cribbs, and Mohamed Massaquoi were all on the receiving end on some of these hits. The only one I really thought was a cheap shot was the one on Heap. The hit on Jackson looked legal and I think it was just bad luck that both Jackson and Dunta Robinson got hurt. James Harrison's hit on Cribbs was legal and his one on Massaquoi...I don't know. It didn't look illegal but I heard the rule about it. The rule says that if a player has made the catch but hasn't had time to defend himself (caught the ball but hasn't turned to move and defend himself), the defender cannot explode into and upward on the hit and that's what Harrison did. I don't like it, but it is the rule. Any fantasy implications here? None, other than you won't be seeing Jackson or Massaquoi this week.

  7. Bye bye, Dallas Clark. So, in the two leagues that I care the most about, my tight ends were Jermichael Finley and Dallas Clark. Damn, damn, damn! Both are now on Injured Reserve and are out for the rest of the year. So, from now on, when I draft a league that I care about, I will post my tight ends and you will know which tight ends not to draft.

  8. Colt McCoy...future fantasy stud? Browns' rookie QB, Colt McCoy (who was not supposed to play this year), got his first start against the tough Pittsburgh Steelers defense this past week, thanks to injuries to Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace. And he looked pretty good. Here are his numbers: 23/33 for 281 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs, and 4 carries for 22 yards. Sure, it was only 13 fantasy points but that is actually the most that the Steelers defense has allowed to an opposing QB this year. I think McCoy's gonna be good. Keep an eye on him.
Week 7's Great Expectations should be up later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Exercise Resistance Bands by Free Blogger Templates