Friday, September 10, 2010

AFC North Preseason Predictions

Dan and I have been working on preseason predictions for all eight divisions this week, and bring to you… last, and most certainly not least, the AFC North:

Baltimore Ravens

Tim: 13-3 (1st AFCN)

It looks to be the beginning of a great season for Baltimore. Dan’s got the low-down, but I will say that the trend in Charm City this year will be offense, which is a new thing. The defense will plug the running game, but quarterbacks will have to really shoot deep the attack the weakness in the secondary, which shouldn’t be too glaring with the additions of Ken Hamlin and Josh Wilson, as well as the recent emergence of S Tom Zbikowski as the heir-apparent to the great Ed Reed. Plus, Ray Lewis is the only MLB I’ve ever seen destroy a planet.

Dan: 12-4 (1st AFCN)

A 25 person panel at ESPN has given Baltimore the slight edge as the favorite to win it all this year. And for good reason. Baltimore has made moves this offseason that makes it look like this is the year they're going for it all. Looking at the starting WRs and TEs around 3rd year quarterback Joe Flacco, there are only two familiar faces (Derrick Mason and Todd Heap) out of seven players (Boldin, Houshmandzadeh, Stallworth, Dickson, and Pitta). Ray Rice looks to follow up his breakout year with another as his partner in crime, Willis McGahee, tries to improve upon his career best 14 total TDs. What many experts had holding them back was, surprisingly, their defense. Specifically, their secondary, which lost starter Dominique Foxworth on the first day of training camp and also had top CBs Fabian Washington and Lardarius Webb rehabing ACL injuries. Not to mention that arguably the best defensive player in the league, Ed Reed, will begin the year on the PUP list. But the Wizard of Oz would not let injuries slow down the Ravens. In an active offseason, the Ravens brought in Pro Bowlers Marc Bulger, Ken Hamlin, Anquan Boldin, and T.J. Houshmandzadeh, as well as signing Donte' Stallworth and trading for Josh Wilson, who was one of Seattle's top CBs last year. Throw in another great draft and, to loosely quote Kramer in the Seinfeld episode The Bottle Deposit, "Newsome, you magnificent bastard, you did it!"

Cincinnati Bengals

Tim: 11-5 (2nd AFCN)

The Bengals defense will remain stout this year, and hopefully the additions of TE Jermaine Greshaim and the ever-rowdy WR Terrell Owens will give QB Carson Palmer the ability to reach his former Pro Bowl status. However, a tough schedule is going to really push this unit, and I think they’re ready to prove that the Week 17 meltdown against the Jets is just a memory, and nothing more.

Dan: 9-7 (3rd AFCN)

Has there been a more inconsistent team recently than the Cincinnati Bengals? There's no telling which team will show up on Sundays: the team that looks like a Super Bowl champion or the team that lost to Oakland. If they play smart football, then Cincy is a playoff-bound team. They've got a great running back in Cedric Benson, dangerous receivers in Chad Ochocinco and Terrell Owens (and don't sleep on rookie Jordan Shipley), a strong new TE in Jermaine Gresham, and a very capable QB in Carson Palmer. I've been hearing analysts saying that there will not be enough room on the team for all of the different egos, which will ultimately slow them down, but I disagree. I don't think the egos will be the problem but the couple of dud games that they put up against teams that they should beat. That, combined with the 4th hardest schedule, and I don't see the Bengals making a return trip.

Cleveland Browns

Tim: 3-13 (4th AFCN)

There’s something charming about the Browns. And it’s not their ability to win, let me tell you. The fans are always excited for each losing season, and with stiff defenses and explosive offenses all over the AFC North, I can’t see the Browns opening the cellar door just yet. Rookie QB Colt McCoy will get a year to watch his team play, and should be ready for the 2011 season. Mike Holmgren is responsible for starting the careers of Brett Favre and Matt Hasselbeck, so look for McCoy to do his part in time. Meanwhile, the season will go the same as it ever does… poorly.

Dan: 2-14 (4th AFCN)

The Browns finished the season 5-11 last year, better than most thought they would do. This is a new team now and, while I think they will ultimately play better football, I believe their record will not show it. This is QB Jake Delhomme's last chance to start in the NFL and, while I really hope he does well, I just don't see it happening. Last year, Delhomme had a phenomenal receiver in Steve Smith. Now, he has 2nd year man Mohamed Massaquoi (who I actually think puts together a pretty good year). Delhomme will need to cut down on the INTs if the Browns want to have a good year. The front office for Cleveland is very strong with Mike Holmgren at the helm and they look to be rebuilding this once proud franchise. If the Browns want to do well this year, Jerome Harrison will need to step up on the ground, Delhomme will need to lower the INTs, and the defense will need to stop potent offenses. The problem is, there are three very dangerous offenses in this division with three very strong defenses. Cleveland just won't be able to keep up.

Pittsburgh Steelers

Tim: 6-10 (3rd AFCN)

I am one of the many predicting Pittsburgh to finish third in the AFC North with no chance of a playoff appearance. Losing Ben Roethlisberger for 4 weeks will be a huge strain on young QB Dennis Dixon, and if they emerge with the 1-3 record I predict, they’ll be going uphill for the rest of the season. The defense is still one of the best in the league, and Big Ben is a winner at the helm, but I can’t see them putting together late season magic without Santonio Holmes on the outside. Don’t sleep on young WR Mike Wallace, though. He’s destined to do great things in the NFL.

Dan: 10-6 (2nd AFCN)

Many are predicting Pittsburgh to finish 3rd in the division this year but I don't think so. Like them or not, this is a very good team all around. They've got a spectacular defense, anchored by one of the best safeties in the game, Troy Polamalu. They have a very capable offense with receivers Hines Ward and Mike Wallace, along with RB Rashard Mendenhall. And, when he's on the field, Ben Roethlisberger makes plays happen and wins games. However, his off the field behavior has ensured that he will not play in the first four weeks of the season, which has them facing Atlanta, Tennessee, Tampa Bay, and Baltimore. When Big Ben plays, the Steelers can beat anybody in the league. But these first four games will see the offense shift to a more run focused attack and I don't think Mendenhall is up to the challenge. I don't have the Steelers making the playoffs this year but I don't think they miss it by much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Exercise Resistance Bands by Free Blogger Templates