Tuesday, September 7, 2010

NFC West Preseason Predictions

So this week, Dan and I will be posting two divisions each day (except on this calendar date there will be four) and giving our pre-season predictions for each team’s final record. We’ll start with the NFC West:


Arizona Cardinals

Tim: 8-8 (2nd in NFCW)

With the main question at the quarterback position heading into 2010, it’s hard to imagine that Arizona fans won’t be distressed without Kurt Warner under center. A difficult schedule this year, despite a fairly weak divisional battle, makes it likely too much to hope that Derek Anderson can guide the Cards back to the playoffs.

Dan: 6-10 (2nd in NFCW)

Alright, let's get the obvious stuff out of the way. Derek Anderson is no Kurt Warner. So, yeah, the quarterback position is going to suffer. Anquan Boldin has left for Baltimore so Larry Fitzgerald is going to have a harder time getting his catches. He'll still get them, don't get me wrong. But he'll be fighting harder for them. The defense is hurting after losing safety Antrel Rolle and linebacker Karlos Dansby. Simply put, I think the losses outweigh the gains for this club during the offseason, putting any hopes of a playoff repeat to rest.

San Francisco 49ers

Tim: 10-6 (1st in NFCW)

This is Alex Smith’s last season to prove to coach Mike Singletary that he’s the guy to lead the Niners back to their former glory. Plus, RB Frank Gore, TE Vernon Davis and WR Michael Crabtree give the formerly lackluster offense the ability to be Top-10. Following Kurt Warner’s retirement in Arizona the NFC West is up for grabs, and you can expect to see their fierce defense unleash down the stretch with three division games in the last 4.

Dan: 13-3 (1st in NFCW)

I'm probably too high on San Francisco this year but I don't care. I think this is the year they put it all together. They've got a superstar running back in Frank Gore. They've got an All-Pro tight end in Vernon Davis. They've got one of the greatest college football wide receivers ever in Michael Crabtree (and I think there's no doubt that he translates well over to the NFL). And their defense played fantastic last year, led by one of the best (if not the best) middle linebackers in the league: Patrick Willis. I say San Fran surprises a lot of people this year and makes the playoffs at 13-3.

Seattle Seahawks

Tim: 3-13 (3rd in NFCW)

Pete Carroll’s third stint in the NFL looks to open up with a flop of a year. With too many depth issues, especially after Carroll’s recent jettisoning of numerous veterans, including a few expensive starters (in case you were unaware, the ‘Hawk’s leading receiver in 2009, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, is the newest Raven in Baltimore), the Seahawks just don’t have the personnel in place to repeat their 2005 Super Bowl run.

Dan: 3-13(4th in NFCW)

Okay, I'm going to start with what I like about the Seahawks. I like Justin Forsett. I think he has a pretty good year as the starting running back up north. Second, I think Earl Thomas wins defensive ROY. He was a beast at Texas and I think it carries over. Okay, I'm done. Seriously. I'm out of positives. I can only guess that Pete Carroll is in 'rebuilding mode' since he seems to be getting rid of a bunch of his good players. Okay, T.J. Houshmandzadeh didn't really light it up last year but, c'mon, were you really expecting him to? They brought in a possession receiver and basically told him to go and stretch the field. Hmmm, can't believe that didn't work. But trading Josh Wilson to Baltimore for a 5th round pick? I don't get it! Maybe Pete Carroll has something up his sleeve. But I don't buy it. This will not be a good year for Seahawk fans.

St. Louis Rams

Tim: 2-14 (4th in NFCW)

There are two extremely bright spots in St. Louis right now. Sam Bradford and Steven Jackson are leading the offense. Bradford brings a legitimate chance for the Rams to reignite the Greatest Show On Turf, though probably not until a few years down the road, at least. For now, the greatest obstacle is going to be the defense’s ability to step up and slow down some powerful offenses on their schedule, including San Diego and New Orleans. This season will be all about bringing Bradford up to speed and giving him valuable NFL experience.

Dan: 5-11 (3rd in NFCW)

I think I'm too high on St. Louis this year too, now that I'm looking at my predictions. This is a team that finished 1-15 last season. 1-15! And I'm thinking they're gonna win 5 games? But hear me out. Sam Bradford is good. Really good. Steven Jackson is good. Really freakishly good. Their O-Line is not as bad as most people think. Sure, it's not great, but it's not horrible either. It's their defense that's gonna hold them back. If the defense steps up and plays well, then I feel the offense has the tools to scrape together five wins. In fact, I'm boldly predicting that they go on to beat San Diego in week 6. God damn, what's wrong with me?


Check out our predictions for the AFC West too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Exercise Resistance Bands by Free Blogger Templates