Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Week 2: Do Not Want

Yesterday, I addressed those players that I feel very comfortable with starting this week. Today, I'm going to look at those who, if I have the option, I would consider benching. Basically, these are players who look to have a down week this week.

Carson Palmer (vs. Baltimore)
Yes, he did throw for 345 yards and 2 TDs last week but, if you watched the game, you realized that most of that came in garbage time and he did not look like a good quarterback for most of the game. New England's secondary had been decimated by injuries and they kept Palmer in check, despite the fact that Cincinnati has two very capable receivers. Baltimore's secondary looked pretty good against the Jets (okay, it was the Jets) but they still held their own. Plus, I expect this game to be a low scorer so, if I had other options, I would avoid using Palmer this week.

Jay Cutler (at Dallas)
Dallas is mad. I mean, really mad. They just lost a game thanks to a couple bonehead plays and their defense didn't even let up an offensive touchdown. They're gonna be out for blood. If there was one team in the league I wouldn't want to be this week, it would be the Bears. Cutler will throw his interceptions, no way getting around that. He had one last week and also fumbled once. And that was against Detroit. We're talking about the Dallas defense. This one could get ugly.

Matt Forte (at Dallas)
See above.

Justin Forsett (at Denver)
From what I saw of Forsett last week, he actually looked pretty good. The problem lies in the existence of Leon Washington and Julius Jones. Last week, Forsett had 10 touches for 60 yards, compared to Washington's 6 for 12, and Jones' 8 for 18. It's obvious that Forsett is the best one of the bunch but as long as the three-way timeshare exists, I'm not starting him. But I wouldn't drop him.

Thomas Jones (at Cleveland)
Make no mistake, it's the Jamaal Charles show in Kansas City. Sure, Jones technically got the start last week but they each split carries 50-50. The difference is, Jones' 11 carries went for 39 yards and Charles' went for 92 and a TD. It's obvious that Charles is the one you would prefer to have but, if Charles were to get hurt, Jones could be a great play. This is not the situation right now, however. Don't start Jones.

Cedric Benson (vs. Baltimore)
Okay, yes, I know Benson ran over Baltimore last year. But that was last year. Baltimore's defense looks much improved this year and Benson did not look that good against New England last year. Could Benson do well? Yes, of course. He's good enough, for sure. And, let me make this clear, I'm not saying to bench Benson immediately. But, if you have, for example, a must-start like AP and let's say someone like Shonn Greene and Ryan Mathews (if you got those four RBs, congrats to you), I'd go ahead and bench Benson this week.

Hakeem Nicks (at Indianapolis)
Yes, he went off last week. And yes, everyone who had him on their bench last week is kicking themselves. But Indianapolis has watched the tape and saw Nicks. And they also noticed that he only had four catches. Everyone knows that Nicks won't maintain the 70 yards and 3 TD weekly production but I think that this ends up being one of the worst weeks of his year. I think only around 40 yards or so.

Randy Moss (at New York Jets)
Yep, Randy Moss. If I have the choice, I do not start Randy Moss this week. You read that correctly. The explanation? #24 on the Jets. He's pretty good. That's Darrelle Revis. And Moss has not done well against Revis in the past. In two meetings last year, he had four catches for 24 yards in one game and five catches for 34 and a TD in the other. Could Moss score this week? Absolutely. If anyone could score, it's Moss. But Revis is really good and has owned Moss in the past. And, if I have better options, Moss is on my bench this week.

Legedu Naanee (vs. Jacksonville)
Naanee had a great game against Jacksonville but, if there is a San Diego receiver that I want to own, it's still Malcom Floyd. Naanee's stat line for last week was five catches for 11o yards and a TD on eight targets. Floyd, on the other hand, only had three catches for 48 yards but was targeted 12 times (8th in the league amongst WRs and TEs). Naanee also has to compete with Antonio Gates (five catches for 76 yards and a TD on six targets) and looks to be the third option for Philip Rivers. Will he have good games? Yes. But will he have bad games? Also yes. And I'm thinking the bad will outnumber the good.

Mike Wallace (at Tennessee)
I mentioned Hines Ward in my Exceeds Expectations post and, basically, the reasoning for him being there is the exact same reasoning why Mike Wallace is here. Now, I love Mike Wallace this year and think that he does really well...once Ben Roethlisberger gets back. Until then, I just don't have the confidence in Dennis Dixon to get him the ball enough to put up good fantasy games.

Greg Olsen (at Dallas)
Greg Olsen has previously been Cutler's security blanket but, last week, it looked to be Matt Forte. That, combined with the fact that Mike Martz doesn't seem to use his tight ends, makes me want to avoid Olsen this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Exercise Resistance Bands by Free Blogger Templates