Tuesday, September 7, 2010

AFC West Preseason Predictions

This week, Dan and I are posting our preseason predictions, two divisions per day (except today, there will be four). First we’ve examined the NFC West, and here, we have the AFC West:

Denver Broncos

Tim: 7-9 (3rd in the AFCW)

I like Kyle Orton a lot, but it’s going to be hard for him to grow within Josh McDaniel’s system without his go-to receiver following the trade that sent Brandon Marshall to Miami. With rookie Tim Tebow waiting for a shot, Orton needs to produce quickly to maintain his position atop the depth chart. On the other side of the ball, the defense suffered many injuries in camp and the preseason, notably the loss of reigning sack-leader OLB Elvis Dumervil. This could be a long season in Denver.

Dan: 6-10 (2nd in the AFCW)

In the past two years, Denver has lost their two best offensive players. First, Jay Cutler got offended and bounced for Chicago. And now, Brandon Marshall has jumped ship for Miami. Why to people hate Denver so much? Actually, despite their crazy hot start last year, I'm still not sold on Josh McDaniel. Last year, I was saying he would be gone by Week 10. Sure, I was wrong but I'm still not convinced he's the right head coach for Denver. That being said, I think Kyle Orton has a good year. Not a great statistical year, but I think he plays smart football and puts them in a good position to win most of the games. Think David Garrard circa 2007. However, the loss of Elvis Dumervil ultimately hurts them and the Denver defense doesn't step up.

Kansas City Chiefs

Tim: 3-13 (4th in AFCW)

Matt Cassel has yet to live up to his 2008 performance when he started 15 games for New England and led them to an 11-5 record. Understandably so, since he doesn’t have either the offensive line or Randy Moss in Kansas City, but this year it’s time for him to step up on this offense. The Chief’s offense is extremely suspect, however, and I can’t see them standing up to the high-powered offenses of the AFC South and six games in the AFC West.

Dan: 5-11 (3rd in AFCW)

Kansas City went 4-12 last year. I say they improve upon that mark...but not by much. I admit, I am not yet a believer in Matt Cassel. That doesn't mean I won't ever be. But, I just am not one at this point in time. However, I do think that Todd Haley is doing the right thing by giving him a very strong supporting cast. Jamaal Charles was fantastic last year and they went on to add Thomas Jones (don't really understand that, but whatever) and Dwayne Bowe and the constantly overrated Chris Chambers should help give Cassel some options to spread the ball around. If Cassel puts together a solid, albeit unspectacular, season; then I think there's hope for KC's future. But their big weakness is their complete lack of a defense. Quick, name one KC defensive starter! That's what I thought...

Oakland Raiders

Tim: 10-6 (2nd in AFCW)

Gone is JaMarcus Russell and the negative mojo he brought to the Oakland locker room for three years. Enter Jason Campbell, the new starter with a chip on his shoulder and a desire to prove his worth as an NFL quarterback. Coach Tom Cable hired Hue Jackson as new offensive coordinator, and he has been instrumental in redefining this offense that should flourish this year with Campbell under center. All the pieces are finally in place, so this year will be make-or-break for Cable and Campbell. Also, as a UMD fan, I hope to see Heyward-Bey have at least one good game.

Dan: 3-13 (4th in AFCW)

Oh, Oakland. Oh, Al Davis, you looney, looney son of a bitch. Actually, I think Oakland had a phenomenal off season (by Oakland standards). In fact, I suspect their plan involved locking Al Davis in a closet of the team management office during the draft and keeping him there until further notice. He's probably there right now. Trading for Jason Campbell was a good move, just so long as they keep him with the same offensive coordinator for a few seasons. It's a make-or-break year for Darren McFadden but I actually think he winds up getting hurt and missing about 6-9 weeks. They finished 5-11 last year and I say that, even though their record will be worse this year, they will play better football and could even wind up over .500 next year.

San Diego Chargers

Tim: 12-4 (1st in AFCW)

So, no Vincent Jackson this year, or at least, that’s my expectation. No problem, Philip Rivers is a great quarterback and young receivers like Legedu Naanee and Malcom Floyd are ready to step up and become starters. Add in TE Antonio Gates and rookie RB Ryan Mathews, and the Chargers’ offense should continue to dominate. Their defense isn’t as stiff as they would like, but they can definitely win any shoot-out they find themselves in this year.

Dan: 13-3 (1st in AFCW)

First and foremost, the loss of Vincent Jackson is gonna hurt. But I don't think it's gonna hurt as much as people think. In fact, I don't think Jackson puts on a Chargers uniform this year. However, I think Malcom Floyd more than makes up for it and has a ridiculously good year. Additionally, I think Ryan Mathews makes a case for Offensive ROY. While I don't think he's the best offensive talent of this year's draft (I'd say C.J. Spiller for that title), he was basically handed the starting job in San Diego. And I say he lives up to it. I'm thinking San Diego makes a deep playoff run.


Check out our predictions for the NFC West as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Exercise Resistance Bands by Free Blogger Templates