Wednesday, September 8, 2010

NFC East Preseason Predictions

Wednesday’s arrived, which means it’s time to check out the East divisions. First up, the NFC East:

Dallas Cowboys

Tim: 11-5 (1st NFCE)

I can’t see any other team upsetting Dallas for the divisional crown this year, especially with one of the most prolific offenses in the NFC looking even better with rookie WR Dez Bryant pushing Roy Williams to finally produce as well. Their defense will continue to set them up for success, as well. There’s a distinct possibility that the Cowboys may get to host their own Super Bowl in 2010. On a separate note, I saw former coach Jimmy Johnson on an Extenze ad this morning…

Dan: 11-5 (1st NFCE)

I like Dallas a lot this year and, if it weren't for the fact that they have the third hardest schedule in the league this year (behind only Houston and Tennessee), I would have them doing even better. Romo may get a bad rep but the fact is he is a dynamic quarterback, up there with the very best. This year, Dallas looks to have a fantastic offense, including last year's breakout star Miles Austin, the ever consistent Jason Witten, new kid on the block Dez Bryant, and a strong 3 headed rushing monster in Felix Jones, Marion Barber, and Tashard Choice. Dallas should make the playoffs this year and has all the tools to be a Super Bowl contender.

New York Giants

Tim: 6-10 (3rd NFCE)

While the Giants added some big names to the defense this offseason, the offense looks the same as last year, just slightly more beat up. Actually, the whole roster looks slightly beat up. With no additions to their three young receivers, it looks like New York hopes to have them continue to grow as well as last season. With injuries hampering goal-line specialist Brandon Jacobs, this could be a tough year in the red zone. I also don’t think too much of the offensive line. Don’t expect too much in the way of wins, but get ready for what should be an exciting brothers’ duel in Week 2 when Big Blue meets the Colts.

Dan: 6-10 (3rd NFCE)

The Giants made some key moves this offseason, signing former Arizona safety Antrel Rolle and former Titans linebacker Keith Bulluck in an effort to help bolster their defense. Add that to their first round selection of defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul and it looks like the Giants have all the tools to compete in the division. Their receivers stepped it up last year and the trifecta of Steve Smith, Hakeem Nicks, and Mario Manningham look to improve this year. But why do I think they fall short? To me, this team is a classic example of "looks great on paper but ultimately falls short." The Giants have a bunch of good players but I just have a gut feeling that this is not their year. Dallas is too good and I think that New York ends up losing games that they should win.

Philadelphia Eagles

Tim: 4-12 (4th NFCE)

Philly fans hated Donovan McNabb for the past decade for not winning a Super Bowl, but since 2000, when he became the starter, the Eagles have posted one losing season. Just one. In 2005, when McNabb led them to a 4-5 record before landing on the IR against the Cowboys, the Eagles finished 6-10. That puts McNabb’s career record at 92-49-1. And they’re ready to let Kevin Kolb run the offense? Alright, even though I have them beating McNabb in their first showdown, that’s one of Kolb’s few good moments, and Philly gets to deal with his growing pains for all of the 2010 season.

Dan: 8-8 (2nd NFCE)

Philly fans have been complaining for years and now they finally got what they wanted: to be rid of Donovan McNabb. But was it the right move? I say no. When healthy, McNabb was one of the elite NFL quarterbacks. He took them to four consecutive NFC East division championships, five NFC Championship Games, and one Super Bowl. He went to the Pro Bowl 6 times. And what do the fans say? He never won a Super Bowl! Get him out! Well, you got your wish. He's out and Kevin Kolb is in. Do I think Kolb will be good someday? Yes. Do I think Kolb will be good this year? Not really. Hey, Philly! You got what you wanted. Let's see what you have to say about the new guy.

Washington Redskins

Tim: 8-8 (2nd NFCE)

As I’ve iterated above, I like Donovan McNabb, and expect him and new head coach Mike Shanahan to do great things in DC. I don’t think they’ll crack the playoffs this year, mostly because of inconsistency at skill positions and on defense. With Santana Moss as the only experienced WR on the roster, expect TE’s Chris Cooley and Fred Davis to step up in the passing game. I’d like to see the offense will shift to a two-tight end set often to take advantage of the athleticism and depth they possess. I’m also curious if we’ll see Haynesworth take the field with the starters this weekend.

Dan: 5-11 (4th NFCE)

Last year, the Redskins went 4-12. This year, I have them improving slightly to 5-11 but I would not be at all shocked to see them do much better. Donovan McNabb is a definite improvement over Jason Campbell and I think his presence alone will make the team better. I believe that Clinton Portis and Santana Moss both have bounce-back years but the ultimate problem lies in the defense. This is a unit that has constantly underperformed despite having some legitimate talents. Albert Haynesworth is a monster (ego), DeAngelo Hall still can be a solid cornerback (don't tell Al Davis), and Brian Orakpo was a very good draft pick last year. But Haynesworth's feud with Shanahan will not end well and neither will the Redskins' season.


Check out the rest of our predictions:

NFC West

AFC South

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Exercise Resistance Bands by Free Blogger Templates