Arizona at Atlanta
Atlanta is looking to bounce back after losing an ugly game against Pittsburgh last week. This was a game where Michael Turner couldn't find any running room and the entire offense looked out of sync. But I expect them to come out firing on all cylinders and, because of this, I'm thinking Matt Ryan has a great game. He's my start.
On the other side of the ball, Arizona's Steve Breaston had 7 catches for 132 yards last week on 7 targets. But I'm sitting him this week. I don't believe in Derek Anderson and I think that part of the reason he had all of those catches was because Anderson could not find Larry Fitzgerald who had 3 catches but 15 targets. I think Fitz's numbers get better and Breaston's go down. Sit Breaston.
Baltimore at Cincinnati
Ray Rice could not find any running room last week against the Jets but let's be realistic. The Jets were committed to stopping Rice and put a lot of pressure on their secondary. I think Rice goes off this week and I'm starting him in every league that I have him in and want to trade for him in every league that I don't.
If you remember last year, Cincinnati swept the division. They look to continue their run this week but they're going to need a better game out of Carson Palmer. He is 8-3 in his career against the Ravens but, last week, did not look good against New England. His numbers were high but they were mostly garbage time. I want to see a good game out of Palmer before I consider starting him. So I'm sitting him this week.
Kansas City at Cleveland
Kansas City shocked everyone last week by beating San Diego in their season opener. And Cleveland shocked nobody by looking pretty bad in their game against Tampa Bay. KC has two of the best running backs in the league and I think they each have good games. Start Jamaal Charles and you can do a whole lot worse than Thomas Jones.
Watching last week's game against Tampa Bay showed me that, for some mystical reason, Eric Mangini loves it when Jake Delhomme throws the ball. And while he looked awful (as expected), I was surprised how he divided the carries. Peyton Hillis and Jerome Harrison each had 9 carries but Hillis added 4 catches and Harrison had 1. Harrison was drafted much higher than Hillis and, until Harrison proves himself this year, I don't have confidence starting him.
Chicago at Dallas
Dallas got beat in an ugly game last week against Washington but I expect an angry team to walk onto the field against Chicago. I like just about everyone on Dallas this week (except Roy Williams) but I have Dez Bryant as a solid #2 receiver this week. Start him.
On the other hand, I dislike just about everyone on Chicago this week. They didn't play that well against Detroit last week and Dallas is much better than Detroit. If I can, I'm benching every Bear. But, for the sake of this post, bench Jay Cutler.
Philadelphia at Detroit
Michael Vick gets the start this week and he's coming off a good performance against Green Bay. Green Bay is much better than Detroit. I think Vick finishes the week as a top 10 QB. Start him.
Sure, Jahvid Best had 2 TDs in his rookie debut (first running back to do that since LaDainian Tomlinson) but I'm a bit nervous about his 1.4 ypc. I'm positive that number will get better but I'm worried about starting a RB who makes his fantasy owners rely on touchdowns for any points. I'm sitting him this week.
Buffalo at Green Bay
Brandon Jackson is starting now that Ryan Grant is done for the year and was the biggest fantasy pickup of Week 1. Buffalo has one of the worst run defenses in the league. Expect big things. Start him.
It was a lackluster debut for C.J. Spiller. 7 carries for 6 yards and 4 catches for 8 yards. He didn't look capable of handling 20+ carries per game and, until he shows that, he will remain on my bench. As he should for you.
Pittsburgh at Tennessee
I mentioned in my Great Expectations post that I like Hines Ward this week and don't like Mike Wallace. Go read that if you want the reasoning, I don't feel like writing it again.
Miami at Minnesota
Last week, Brett Favre didn't look that impressive. But that was New Orleans, not Miami. The Dolphins' secondary hasn't been tested yet (Trent Edwards? C'mon) but I expect them to get burned this week. I like Favre. Start him.
Minnesota has a great run defense, anchored by the Williams Wall, which means that I'm nervous about using Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams. Avoid both.
Tampa Bay at Carolina
Ahhh, the battle of the bad. Actually, Josh Freeman looked pretty good last week. And the Panther's secondary looked mediocre at best. So I think he and Kellen Winslow have good games. Of course, I wouldn't start Williams but I would start Winslow. Go for it.
Last week, DeAngelo Williams had 16 carries to Jonathan Stewart's 5. Stewart's fantasy value is as a time share back right now but, if Williams gets hurt, Stewart's value skyrockets. But, until Stewart has a good day, I'm keeping him benched.
Seattle at Denver
These two teams both surprised me last week. I thought there was no way in hell that Seattle would beat San Francisco and thought that Denver would manhandle Jacksonville. I noticed that Denver did a poor job covering the tight end as Marcedes Lewis caught two TDs. So I'm starting John Carlson this week.
Seattle also managed to contain Frank Gore last week, who is one of the best backs in the league. Knowshon Moreno has not reached Frank Gore status. Is Seattle's defense great again? Who knows, it's been only one game! But does that make me nervous about Moreno? Yeppp.
St. Louis at Oakland
It's tough to find someone to like in this game. But, if I had to pick one, I'm going with Darren McFadden. He looked pretty good last week 18 carries for 95 yards and 6 catches for 55 yards and a TD. And St. Louis is not a good defense. If Michael Bush doesn't play, McFadden is a solid player to start.
Who wouldn't I start? Everyone. Next!
New England at New York Jets
The Patriots looked amazing last week and the Jets looked like the most overhyped thing since the beginning of time. But, despite the fact that the Jets looked terrible, I'm thinking that LaDainian Tomlinson and Shonn Greene each have good games. I think Tomlinson makes a good flex play this week.
Randy Moss has a spot reserved on Revis Island and, because of that little fact, I don't like him this week. Darrelle Revis has shut him down in weeks past and I don't think he bucks the trend. If I had to choose, I'm not starting Moss.
Jacksonville at San Diego
Rookie running back Ryan Mathews had an unimpressive debut but one thing that stood out to me was on the run where he fumbled. He reminded me of Adrian Peterson, fighting his hardest, breaking tackles, only to have a great run negated by a fumble. So I'm not worried about him. In fact, I have the utmost confidence in him. I think he's a must start.
I've never been a believer in Mike Sims-Walker and last week helped prove that for me. He's horribly inconsistent and you never know when he's going to do well. If you can trade him, do it. I don't want him on my fantasy team.
Houston at Washington
Clinton Portis went fairly late in most leagues I drafted. Surprising, considering he's one of the few running backs who plays on every down. I like him this week and think he's a good player to start every week as a flex play.
Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson both underperformed last week but that's because Arian Foster went crazy. Expect both Schaub and Johnson to return to their spots at the tops of their position rankings for the year. But, talking about former Houston studs, I'm still nervous about using Owen Daniels. When he's healthy, he's one of the league's best tight ends. Problem is, I don't think he's healthy yet. Avoid him.
New York Giants at Indianapolis
Of all Indianapolis receiver, it was Austin Collie who stole the show. Both Garcon and Wayne were targeted 10 times (Garcon had 3 catches and Wayne had 7) but Collie had 11 catches on 12 targets. I like Collie this week. Go ahead and start him if you're a bit weak at WR.
I don't like Hakeem Nicks this week, despite his 75 yards and 3 TDs. I think the Colts secondary follows him and he has a down week. He should finish as a top 25 WR but I don't like him this week.
New Orleans at San Francisco
There were questions about how New Orleans would divide carries amongst their running backs but it looks like Pierre Thomas wound up being the top choice. I think he's a must start now.
If there was a particular disappointment from the 49ers last week, it would be Michael Crabtree. He and Alex Smith did not look on the same page and I'm nervous about starting him until he shows me something. I feel like that's my philosophy with most of the players I don't want to start...
No comments:
Post a Comment